This small town close to the Plitvice lakes is an important part of the Croatian history. The old castle of Drežnik was first mentioned in the 11th century. Its masters were the dukes of Nelipić, Gising, Babonić and Šubić. From 1323 to the mid 16th century, it was governed by the Frankopan family. During the Turkish conquest Drežnik was a very important defence stronghold, which was conquered, demolished and renovated times and times again. In 1866, the emperor sold the Drežnik castle to a tradesman who started to demolish its walls and sell them as construction material. The Rakovica community created the sanation project. The external part has already been renovated.